Information At a Glance

County and Municipal Government Contact Information

Haywood County Manager – 215 N. Main Street, Waynesville, NC 28786; Phone: 828-452-6625; Fax: 828-452-6715
Town of Canton – 58 Park Street, Canton, NC 28716; Phone: (828) 648-2363; Fax: (828) 646-3419
Town of Clyde – P.O. Box 386, Clyde, NC 28721; Phone: (828) 627-2566; Fax: (828) 627-1190
Town of Maggie Valley – 3987 Soco Rd., Maggie Valley, NC 28751; Phone: (828) 926-0866; Fax: (828) 926-3576
Town of Waynesville – P.O. Box 100, Waynesville, NC 28786; Phone: (828) 452-2491; (828) 456-2000


County Commissioners

Board of Commissioners meetings are regularly held at 9 a.m. on the first Monday of each month and 5:30 p.m. on the third Monday of each month in the Historic Courtroom in the Haywood County Courthouse in Waynesville.

  • View commissioner meetings on TV, website -  Commissioners meetings are broadcast on HCTV, the Haywood County Government Access Channel, Channel 193 on the Charter Communications cable system and Channel 2 on the Carolina Mountain cable system at 7 p.m. on the Tuesday following each meeting and at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and the following Tuesday. DVDs of the meetings are available at the Waynesville and Canton branches of the Haywood County Public Library.
  • Commissioners Meeting and County Holiday Schedule for 2015

Emergency Services

If you have a fire, police or medical emergency, always call 9-1-1  

Other Emergency Numbers:

Ambulance – (828) 452-6600
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives – 1-800-800-3855
Carolinas Poison Control Center – 1-800-800-3855
CSX Transportation Police Dept. (Railroad Emergencies) – 1-800-232-0144
Federal Bureau of Investigation (Asheville) – 1-828-253-1643
648-3418 - Canton
452-6600 - Center Pigeon, Clyde, Cruso, Junaluska, Maggie Valley, North Canton, Saunook)
456-8611 – Waynesville
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-TALK (8255)
10800-799-4TTY (4889)
Norfolk Southern Railroad Police Emergencies – 1-800-453-2530
North Carolina Center for Missing Persons – 1-800-522-5437
North Carolina Problem Gambling Helpline – 1-877-718-5543
North Carolina State Highway Patrol – 1-800-445-1772
North Carolina Call-One Center (Power line location before you dig) – 8-1-1 or 1-800-632-4949
828-648-2376 (Canton, Clyde)
828-452-6666 (Maggie Valley)
828-456-8611 (Waynesville)
Smoky Mountain Center (Mental Health, Developmental Disability and Substance Abuse)
State Bureau of Investigation
1-828-654-8901 or 1-919-662-4500
Teen Crisis Hotline
U.S. Secret Service (Charlotte)
1-828-654-8901 or 1-919-662-4500
Teen Crisis Hotline
U.S. Secret Service (Charlotte)

Our Community
Click here for links to municipal governments, business and human service organizations, and volunteer organizations

Haywood County Government Access Channel

HCTV, the Haywood County Government Access Channel, provides information on county government and other organizations that receive local, state or federal tax funds 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to all cable television suscribers.  In addition to gavel-to-gavel coverage of the meetings of the Board of County Commissioners, HCTV also airs meetings of the Haywood County Board of Education, the Haywood County Tourism Development Authority and Public Service Announcements on a variety of tax-funded community services.

HCTV is available on Channel 193 on the Charter Communications cable system and Channel 2 on the Carolina Mountain cable system. For questions, or more information, contact the Haywood County Administration Office at 828.452.6625



Click Here for for information on county recreation programs and facilities



The Haywood County Solid Waste Department accepts the following items for recycling:

  • Aluminum cans
  • Catalogs, magazines, newspapers, telephone books, third class mail and other paper products, such as grocery bags
  • Yard Plastics (lawn furniture and children's toys)
  • Sheetrock
  • Corrugated cardboard and household cardboard boxes (cereal, cracker, cake mix)
  • Plastic bottles and jugs (including shampoo and detergent bottles)
  • Steel cans
  • Clear, green and amber glass bottles and jars
  • Used electronics, including old televisions, computers, monitors, printers and keyboards, VCRs and DVD players, small peripherals (such as cameras, PDAs and other devices that can be plugged into a computer), phone equipment, video/audio equipment, network equipment and test equipment.. THESE PRODUCTS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED AT MATERIALS RECOVERY CENTER, NOT AT CONVENIENCE CENTERS.

For locations of Haywood County’s 10 Convenience Centers, the Materials Recover Center, and the White Oak Landfill, click here for the Haywood County Solid Waste Department or call 828-627-8042.


Tax Information

The current tax rate for Haywood County is 54.13 cents per $100 of value. Click here for more information on taxes, including tax collections, property appraisal and revaluations, and online services.


Vehicle Tags/Registration

New residents must register their vehicle and purchase a license tag within 30 days of establishing residency. Title of car or name of lien holder, proof of insurance and odometer reading are required. In addition, automobiles must be inspected within 10 days of registration date. There are two License Place Agencies in Haywood County. One is located on Park Street in Canton. The phone number is 646-3406. The Waynesville Tag Agency is located in the Waynesville Plaza. The phone number 452-1577.


Voter Registration

To vote in any election, a person must meet certain qualifications and must be registered. To qualify, a person must sign a voter declaration attesting that they meet the following conditions:

  • That he or she is a U.S. citizen who is or will be 18 by the next General Election
  • That he or she has been a resident of North Carolina and this county for 30 days before the election
  • That he or she is a United States citizen
  • If he or she is a convicted felon, that their rights have been restored

For more information on Elections, or to check your voter registration, click here.